Q: What October 14 is?
A: The 20 month birthday of The 70273 Project
Q: How will we celebrate?
A: We’re throwing a Blockapalooza!
Let’s see how many blocks we can make on that one day – October 14, 2017.
Participation is easy:
- Cut a piece of white or nearly white fabric in one of these sizes: 3.5×6.5″ or 6.5×9.5″ or 9.5×12.5″ 2)
- Put two red Xs on it. Don’t sew? Don’t let that stop you cause there are many ways to lay those two red X’s down on the base of white or near-white fabric. You can use paint, permanent marker (red Sharpies work swell), ribbon, fabric, lace, embroidery, stencil, – whatever method you choose. If you enjoy sewing, you stitch those two red X’s down any way you want to. These quilts will not be washed, so don’t worry too much about the red being colorfast. No words, no numbers, no drawings or symbols – just two red Xs. That’s all that goes on the blocks. That’s it. Period.
- Grab yourself a badge like the one above and share on social media on October 14 (or even before to build enthusiasm and give folks time to gather supplies) to help us get the word out and encourage your friends become involved. Use the hashtags #globalblockday and #the70273project to show us your blocks or quilts and to let us know how many people you’ve commemorated.
- Repeat as many times as desired.
- Get involved and get others involved. Let folks know you’re participating by mashing the “going” button on the Facebook event then invite your friends and make a pledge in the comments. Pen a blog post about Global Block Day or invite me to write one for you. Or maybe you’re a shop or a library or an organization or an individual who’d like to host a physical or virtual Global Block Day Event and write a post for me? Let me know.
- Fill out a Provenance Form and mail with your blocks or quilts.
A few notes . . .
- If you have blocks, a quilt made from your blocks, or a Middling you’re working on and just haven’t gotten around to finishing, get that needle in motion so it can be included in our numbers for Global Block Day or Blockapalooza.
- Can’t stitch on October 14? I’m gonna’ make it easy for you: Global Block Day is October 14, and Blockapalooza starts today, October 7, and runs till November 14 to allow time for stitching and shipping. Blocks, Middlings, or quilts made from your own blocks received by me or an Ambassador by the end of 11/14/17 will be counted as Global Block Day/Blockapalooza contributions and added to the official block count.
- If you have a stack of blocks or a Middling or a quilt made from your blocks that you’ve been meaning to get in the mail but just haven’t gotten around to it, get around to it in time for me to receive it by November 14. If you’re in Europe, let me know and I’ll put you in touch with a 70273 Project Ambassador near you.
- Though they won’t be added to the official block quilt until received by Ambassadors or me, 70273 Project Ambassador Tari Vickery will be donning her green visor to keep a tally on 10/14/17 Global Block Day and keep us updated, so check in often to watch the numbers grow as this big beautiful rock we call Earth makes its way around the sun. After Global Block Day, look for Blockapalooza updates on the blog.
- Join The 70273 Facebook Digital Campfire, like The 70273 Project Facebook, or subscribe to the blog to stay in the loop.
- A big Thank you to 70273 Project Ambassador Sarah Jespersen Lauzon for creating the badge and easy-to-follow instructions. Please use the badge and share this post as often as possible to let others know about The 70273 Project and to encourage them to participate.
- Another big Thank you to 70273 Project Ambassador Lucy Horner for researching and creating the hashtag #GlobalBlockDay.
- And last but not least, a big Thank you to y’all for helping us remind and/or convince the world that Every life has value. Every. Single. Life.
Now let’s get busy commemorating.